- The Prairie Pothole Region: An important region for breeding waterfowl populations in North America, as well as many shorebirds, waterbirds, and grassland songbirds.
- Prairie Pothole Landscape: Continued loss of wetlands and grasslands has made it the most threatened breeding waterfowl habitat in the U.S.
- Conservation Benefits People: Wetland and grassland conservation provides vital wildlife habitat, reduces nutrient loads in watersheds, and stores carbon to offset greenhouse gas emissions. Healthy grassland-wetland systems are also vital to a sustainable livestock industry for food production.
- Scientific Foundations: Since its inception, the PPJV has used the best available science to guide habitat conservation programs and adapt to challenges.
- Collaborative Conservation: Joint Ventures work for one simple reason: partners know they can achieve more through collaboration than they can alone.
Prairie Pothole Joint Venture
Where We Work
We Love Ducks!
Conserving grassland birds and their habitats
Our Amazing Grasslands
Erickson Family, Langford, SD
“I am proud and confident that I left them something that is worth working with: the livestock herd, the grass management, the infrastructures we put in place. I feel good about retiring and leaving it for the next person to come along.” Mark Erickson
Keep in Touch
Sign up to get the latest updates about the Prairie Pothole Region
Welcoming Lauri Hanauska-Brown, Our New JV Coordinator
The PPJV is excited to announce that Lauri Hanauska-Brown has been selected to take up the mantle as the JV Coordinator after a monthslong search.
Collaborative Science to Inform Conservation of Grassland Wildlife
We’ve all seen the reports: grassland birds are declining more rapidly and more consistently than birds from any other habitat group in North America. These
Partnering with NRCS for Conservation Workshop 2023
The Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) has several financial assistance programs that can be leveraged to improve and restore wildlife habitat. Their flagship program is
35 Years of Conservation in the PPJV
This year marks the 35th Anniversary of the Prairie Pothole Joint Venture! Throughout our history, PPJV partners have skillfully navigated the dynamic nature of the
PPJV Partners Stretch Their Wings with Duck Stamp Affiliated Events
The PPJV is gearing up to host the 2022 Federal Duck Stamp Contest this September in Bismarck, North Dakota. Our partners have done a great
Small Wetlands Program Balances Wetland Conservation with Societal Needs
“One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds.” – Aldo Leopold. The ecologically educated must